Profile and background
Ever since his admission to the bar, Christian Alsøe has been handling complex litigation and arbitration matters in the areas of copyright and media law.
Christian is ranked as a “Litigation Star” in Benchmark Litigation.
Christian is widely recognised in Denmark and internationally as a leading expert in complex dispute resolution, copyright, media law and IP/competition law.
Christian is fluent in French and advises French businesses on Danish rules and practice.
Education and qualifications
- Certified mediator
- Diploma degree, arbitrator
- Appointed to represent parties in cases before the Danish Supreme Court where free legal aid has been granted (since 2007)
- Right of audience before the Danish Supreme Court (since 2003)
- Right of audience before the Danish High Court (since 1998)
- Gorrissen Federspiel, assistant attorney/attorney-at-law, 1995 – 1998
- Slaughter and May, Paris, secondment lawyer, 1998 – 1999
- Gorrissen Federspiel, attorney-at-law, 1999 – 2003, partner 2004 – 2021
- Kammeradvokaten (legal adviser to the Danish Government), assistant attorney, 1993 – 1995
- LLM, Aarhus University, 1993
- Øregaard High School 1984 – 1986
- European School in Uccle, Belgium 1975 – 1984
- Krebs School 1973 – 1975
French, fluent and as working language.
English, Scandinavian and good proficiency of German, Italian and Dutch.
- Danish Institute of Arbitration, Vice-Chairman
- Danish Labour Court, substitute judge
- Juridisk Forening, board member
- Niels Wessel Bagge Foundation for the Arts, Vice-Chairman, https://nwbk.dk/betyrelse/christian-alsoee/
- Association of European Lawyers (AEL) (2019-2021)
- Danish Appeals Permission Board, Department of Free Legal Aid (2007-2011)
- Paule Mikkelsens Mindelegat, Chairman
- Rektor Herluf Møllers Legat
Selected cases, representation and international testimonials
- Novo Nordisk vs Koda, Public performance of music at company party (UfR 2016.2731 ØL)
- Finansiel Stabilitet vs N Valentin Hansen and others (Roskilde Bank), High Court of Eastern Denmark, 7 November 2017
- HBO vs Koda, Streaming tariff (Case no. 119 of the Danish Copyright Licence Tribunal, 31 October 2018)
- Teacher Retirement and others vs D Engel and B Carlsen (Vestas), District Court of Aarhus, August/September 2020, https://advokatwatch.dk/Advokatnyt/Advokater/article12364952.ece.
- Nets vs The Danish Competition Authority, judgment of the High Court of Eastern Denmark of 17 February 2021, https://www.kfst.dk/afgorelser-ruling/betalingskort/domsafgoerelser/20210217-ostre-landsret-nets-gebyrer/
- Rated in Legal 500, Chambers etc. for decades and Litigation Star in “Benchmark Litigation” in 2019-2021.
Legal 500 2020/21 (Media & Entertainment Law):
“I value the team’s ability to advise on legal matters with depth, taking into consideration the decisions of a more financial nature.” “Christian Alsøe is exceptionally qualified when advising on new media and digital technology. He has many years practice experience as lawyer.”
He is highly skilled and very solution-oriented. He never loses track of what is best for your business here and now – and in the long run.” “The quality that is delivered is always outstanding and always delivered on time – even for enquiries with a very short time-frame.”
Chambers Europe 2020
“Christian Alsøe is a well-recognised practitioner who has experience in banking and financial litigation. He is also knowledgeable in professional liability cases.”
Chambers Global 2018
“Christian Alsøe is experienced in representing clients from the financial sector in high-level disputes. He acted on behalf of the former management of Vestas on a DKK80 million liability claim instigated by a number of international investors. Clients recommend him as “a strong communicator with a strategic approach to solving disputes”.”